Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Meet the Monk

I remember the first time I saw monks way back 2006 in Bahrain airport. I don't know why I am afraid to them, maybe because I was just shocked because that's my first time to see people who dressed like them and they seemed so serious and doesn't know how to smile.
Out of curiosity during our tour at Tooth Relic in Kandy, Sri Lanka I was one of the four campers who entered the temple. I asked first one of the campers if its possible to take photo with a monk. She told me we should ask permission first since like any other not all monks are friendly and will give way.

As form of respect, you can see some signs that selfie is not allowed inside and your back should not in front of their statues when taking pictures. And when they caught you to disobey the protocol, oh my immediately they will get your camera or phone, check it and if found selfie photos taken inside, they will immediately ask you to delete. When you are visiting anywhere, whether its a religious complex or anywhere, the key word should be obey and respect.
Its quiet inside the temple and though I really want to take a photo with the monk, I was hesitant to do so. I'm thinking - maybe its not allowed also since we're inside or what if they will reject us. So after roaming inside the temple, we go out as usual. But behind my mind I really need to have at least one shot of photo with a monk, since I may not have an opportunity to have one.
Good thing I have the boys - I don't know exactly who approached the monk. The next thing I know is Nan is asking me to stand beside the monk and taking picture.
I want to ask questions to him but obviously (flower on his hands) he needs to go inside the temple. So I just asked the help of Wikipedia to answer the questions on my mind :) The traditional Buddhist wear robes. The robe is generally called civara. Antarvasa is the inner robe covering the lower body while for the upper body its uttarasanga. Other items that may have been worn are: the kushalaka - the waist cloth and the samakaksika, the buckled belt. 

Guys if visiting temple is part of your tour, my advise for you is not to wear loud color shirt or dress. Believe me cos the guy next to me experienced it already, right William? Isn't William and the monk has some resemblance? Just thinking bagay siguro yung robe kay William hehehe.

And see those policemen in the background, they are not just standing for nothing they really working and their eyes are rolling to all tourists. Guys be an law abiding tourists. Respect and obey their policies or else in the end you'll be in trouble like what our fellow tourist experienced.


Thanks to our tour guide Mr. Brandy for talking to these not ordinary policemen cos according to Janix they have stars on their uniform or else maybe William will sleep on the cell :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. I'd love to hear from you as well...
Have a happy day! Have a colorful life! God bless